Friday, September 13, 2013

Oily Cicada {an Altered Canvas by Riikka}


Today we're welcoming back RIIKKA with this beauty:



Riikka says "When I first saw this cicada bug chipboard, I fell in love. The shape is so captivating! So when I started to think what I should create for my guest post, I immediately thought about the bug and wanted to do a canvas using it. In my mind I saw the bug having black, oil-like surface that would shimmer in the colors of the rainbow on a surface of ephemera.








I painted the cicada bug first with black Plain Jane mist and let it dry. On top of the black coat I then misted bright Glimmer Mist colors knowing that only their colorful shimmer would show in the bug because of the black. I also wanted the shape to have a glossy, slightly crackled surface, but was all out of crackle paint. So I embossed the bug twice with embossing powder and while the second coat was still hot, I pressed my crackle stamp on it creating a subtle crackle effect. The surface looks almost like crocodile skin!



For the background I used various ephemera and leftover alphas together with a few arrow shapes form UmWowStudio. I glued them to a canvas base using regular glue and then spread gesso all over. After the gesso had dried I used Glimmer Mists to color the surface in blues and greens. I also added touches of black and white mist. Lastly I added some splashes of mist and pencil doodling to the background and mounted the cicada using a decorative needle.


I'm so honored to have a chance to guest design for UmWowStudio! Thank you for the opportunity!"


RIIKKA.. thank YOU! This piece is amazing and I'M the honored one -- I get to share your beautiful work using our products! Stay tuned for one more post this month from Riikka in CARD form :). Please leave her some love and let her know how much we appreciate her work! 

8 comments:

  1. OMG!!! AMAZING! I just love this, love, love, love!!! Did I say how much I love this?!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful project - I adore how you've coloured this and used the cicada!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful layers, textures, embellishments, color and more. Love the color pallet, reminds me of Finns 9th wave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful piece. Love every détails. Johanne L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is stunning! Very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful piece of art. Love the colours !!! Thank you for sharing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a stunner! I did a double take with her alteration of the cicada...brilliant!

    ReplyDelete